[sage] Automatische Installation von Testmaschinen...

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Wed Jun 22 14:28:47 CEST 2011

> Wie würdet ihr sowas grob lösen? Auch image-basierend oder installer basierend?
>
> Grüße,
>   Florian

I'd suggest ignore any OS specific & any non C tools, not ported to all/most
std. Unix, so maybe use
nfs + amd + rdist6 / rsync
	(rdist is old, avoid it, use rdist6, both run on BSD, but
 	not sure if binaries also available for linux, but it's in C)
	rsync for all Unix, also in C I recall)
On master host, create a master /site parallel directory of
common stuff, containing eg
	- common files eg /etc/printcap that might be wanted localy
	  even in event of net outage.
	- sym link eg
		- /pub/ftp -> ../usr2/ftp/pub
			For uniformity of addressing, use
			relative addressing not absolute,
			to allow AMD remote clients to not bounce
			back to local host
		- /pri/ftp/birthdays -> /host/office/birthdays
			Central non critical date that doesnt
			matter much if net outages occasionaly.
Per multiple host:
	Initial minimal install of distribution generic OS,
	Enable NFS & AMD & rdistd
	Run rdist6 or rsync once from master before issuing machines,
	& as often after as you set crontab on master host.

URLS
man rdist6 rdist - remote file distribution client program
http://www.freebsd.org/ports/net.html
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/net/rdist6/

man rsync rsync -- a fast, versatile, remote (and local) file-copying tool
https://lists.samba.org/mailman/listinfo/rsync
http://www.samba.org/ftp/rsync/rsync.html
http://rsync.samba.org/FAQ.html

Cheers/MFG,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below, not above;  Indent with "> ";  Cumulative like a play script.