[FOSTEL-List] Re: Structuring the FOSTEL summit

Craig Southeren craigs at postincrement.com
Wed Feb 28 10:20:45 CET 2007

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 15:46:15 +0100
Dave Neary <dave.neary at wengo.com> wrote:

..deleted

> I'm planning on helping people build relationships alright :) I want to
> basically book a restaurant for a meal for everyone on Wednesday
> evening. And the format will lend itself to relationship building, I hope.

Sounds good :)

> > However, I know of several people who are intending to arrive before the
> > conference and stay after. So perhaps it won't just be one night after
> > all :)
> >
> > On this subject, how many nights are you planning for? One, two or three?
>
> I will be block booking the hostel for 2 nights, Tuesday and Wednesday.
> If people want to stay on a third night and fly out Friday, please let
> me know.

I'll be flying in Tuesday morning, and leaving Friday

> For the hotel, I will try for a group rate, and will keep you all posted.
>
> >> Perhaps having one hour for lightning
> >> talks might be the best way to address the concern you have and give all
> >> the participating projects a say - otherwise we will spend the whole two
> >> days in conference sessions, or the talks which are given will be poorly
> >> attended.
> >
> > I agree
>
> OK - let's do that. After lunch on the first day works for me.

Excellent :)

> > Some people need a full hour. Other people only need 5 minutes. We
> > should give the presenters a choice
>
> The presenters will choose as much time as they can get, and most of the
> presentations you see in a technical conference just aren't interesting.
> I really don't want to sit through 2 days of bullet points.
>
> > Also, I don't see any problem with keeping a continual stream of talks
> > going. People can decide whether to attend or not. The crucial point is
> > to have a published timetable that doesn't change at the last minute so
> > people can plan where they want to be.
> >
> > We don't really have much time to get everyone in
> >
> > Some people may decide not to attend any talks and keep hacking away.
> > Some people may decide to attend all the talks. Either way, that's OK :)
> >
> > What does everyone else think?
>
> I'd like to avoid unending discussions about the format, but I am open
> to changing. I don't think that continual presentations will help us
> achieve our goal of increasing co-operation and synergies between
> projects, and for that reason I heavily favour spending over 50% of the
> time in interactive mode, and under 50% of the time in broadcast mode.
> It will allow me to exercise ruthless quality control, so that all of
> the presentations are interesting to all present - which would be
> impossible otherwise.

It's your show and I'm happy to go with whatever you want!

Let's do it and have fun :)

   Craig

 Craig Southeren          Post Increment – VoIP Consulting and Software
 craigs at postincrement.com.au                   www.postincrement.com.au

 Phone:  +61 243654666      ICQ: #86852844
 Fax:    +61 243656905      MSN: craig_southeren at hotmail.com
 Mobile: +61 417231046      Jabber: craigs at jabber.org

 "It takes a man to suffer ignorance and smile.
  Be yourself, no matter what they say."   Sting